For the kids
Our mission is to encourage young individuals—the “kids”—to pursue education
and career opportunities in the science, technology, engineering and math fields.
Why we ride.
Our mission is to encourage young individuals—the “kids”—to pursue education and career opportunities in the science, technology, engineering and math fields.
100% of the funds raised by Bike Ride for the Kids support FIRST Lego teams in the places we live and work:
FIRST (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology) was founded in 1989 to inspire young people's interest and participation in science and technology.
In the FIRST Lego League (FLL), students design, build, and program a LEGO MINDSTORMS robot to perform autonomous missions on an obstacle course.
The cost of supporting (1) team of 10-15 kids can range from $1,000-$5,000 — this year, our goal is to raise $100,000 to support this cause.
ARCO/Murray Charitable Corporation is an exempt organization as described in Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code; EIN 47-4780502
This year's ride will again include a month-long virtual competition plus the return of our traditional in-person bike ride back to Notre Dame for the first time since 2019!
The virtual competition will start Friday, September 16th and extend 4 weeks through October 14th (9/16 - 10/14) and the LIVE in-person bike ride will take place on Friday, October 14th from downtown Chicago to South Bend.
The virtual competition will be organized through the free activity service, Strava, to allow participants to log as many biking AND running miles as possible. Both the virtual competition and live ride will encourage participants to bike/run for donations to support FIRST Lego League and STEM Education. For every $100 raised, participants will earn additional “miles” to be added to their score (10 bike miles or 2.5 running miles per $100).
For this year's fundraising goal we are targeting raising $100,000 for the Bike Ride for the Kids mission!
Interested in Joining?
- Register for the competition: If you are renting a bike from one of our rental partners, Bike and Roll Chicago or Bobby's Bike Hike, be sure to use the separate links to reserve your bike rental via their respective websites!
- Create a FREE Strava account — all participants will need to have a Strava account to log their activity.
- Be sure to go to your BRFTK Profile on this website and click the "Connect with STRAVA" button!
- Join the "BRFTK - 2023 - BIKE" and "BRFTK - 2023 - RUN" clubs on Strava to track your results for the weekly competitions.
- Start riding/running (on September 16th) and log your mileage through Strava*